ICED21- Africa Design Workshop - Call for Abstracts and Submitted Abstracts.
ICED21 (International Conference for Engineering Design) will be held in hybrid form this year. One of the workshops titled “Africa-Design: A Network Hub for Research, Education, and Practice in Global Sustainable Development” is looking to provide a platform for students’ submissions to showcase their ideas to receive potential advice and mentorship from experts or other parties interested in collaborating. AFRICA-DESIGN is planning to create some themed sessions in the workshop around design and sustainability in the African context. The abstracts along with the survey results will be used to contribute to the workshop discussions. All of the submitted abstracts will be evaluated by the AFRICA-DESIGN committee, thereafter, the relevant abstracts will be uploaded on the AFRICA-DESIGN website, and the individuals with the two most interesting abstracts using the below criteria will have the opportunity to present their work at the workshop.
- Relevance to the theme
- Creativity of idea
- An idea that shows promise for further development, collaboration or action
All selected abstracts will receive a certificate of recognition and will be available on the AFRICA-DESIGN website.
What should be submitted?
Submissions should be in the form of original abstracts about an idea, innovation or project that you (individual or teams) have worked on in the past, are currently working on, or hope to work on in the future. The submitted abstracts should be directly relevant to design and sustainability in the African-context.
If you have not had the opportunity to work on an individual or group idea, innovation, or project, feel free to use the following pre-written prompts to write an abstract which can be used for discussion during the workshop:
- How has COVID-19 impacted your local or global community in terms of sustainability and design?
- Is there any impactful initiative that you have deliberately undertaken in your community towards sustainability in achieving the SDGs?ICED21 Africa Design Workshop 3
- Are there any Approaches that you have implemented to Transform educational institutions into Active Agents for an Inclusive and Sustainable Planet?
We will be accepting abstracts of maximum 1 A4 page including text and figures. The initially submitted abstract will be reviewed by the committee to determine its suitability for the workshop.
Who should submit?
We encourage submissions from students, the youth and future leaders from African countries, and those interested in sustainable development in Africa.
- 21st June 2021 Call for Abstract submission open
- 12th July 2021 Deadline for submission of abstracts
- 21st July 2021 Abstract Decision letters emailed
- 21st July 2021 Registration opens of interest to participate in the workshop
How to Submit
Submissions in pdf format should be made through the email address: email@example.com
The subject line should be: “Abstract submission: Africa-Design” and the body of the message should include:
- Your name
- Affiliation/institution, and
- Your alternate email address.
Abstract Submission Format:
Language: All abstracts should be written in English using UK spelling. Page Size: A4 paper size should be used for all documents. Typeface: Abstracts should be written in 12-point Calibri with single spacing, and justified text. Format & Referencing Style: Papers should conform to the following format:
- Title of Paper
- Names and Affiliations and email addresses of author
- Abstract (maximum 1 A4 page- including text and figures)
If you are interested in joining both the ICED21 Conference and the AFRICA-DESIGN workshop, please include this in your abstract submission and the AFRICA-DESIGN team will get back to you